Editor

My photo
Panama City, Florida, United States
Bay County Republican: the truth about what is going on in GOP local politics

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Local Democrats reporting sign thefts

This was an item found on the front page of the Bay County Democratic Party page. The Bay County Republican Party does not support the stealing of signs, and there is absolutely no organized effort to steal Democratic signs whatsoever. We need to debate on the issues and not with ongoing theft of our oppositions' signs, which we condemn. If the situation was reversed we would be outraged at these acts. If anyone reading this is involved in the stealing of campaign signs, we ask you to cease these actions immediately.


"Obama yard signs were found destroyed on 27th Street in the Kings Point neighborhood the week of September 8th. There have been frequent accounts of Obama signs stolen from yards.

On Friday September 12th, I observed a silver/white Camaro style two door car with a black roof stop in front of my house. A young white man got out of the car around 9:00 p.m. and removed my Obama sign from the yard and carried it back to his car. Before they could leave, I confronted the young men and told them to give me my sign back. I managed to retrieve the sign from the roof of their car before they could leave. They sped off at a high rate of speed.

Previously, two Obama signs at my office were stolen within about 36 hours of being placed in the yard.

These events are a sickening comment on the level of political discourse in our town. They call out for condemnation. I believe our best response is not to stoop to similar vigilantism but to publicize the tactics of our opponents.(These are NOT our tactics but a few disgruntled individuals.-ed.)

If you have a story of how your yard sign has been treated send us the date, and nature of the theft or vigilantism you experienced. We will add your account to the history of this election."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple weeks ago, we placed several McCain signs on Hwy 22. The following day, all McCain were all gone and replaced them with Obamas signs. I don't have to question who took our signs, it is obvious. Now, I had McCain's sign on my yard and when I came back from my trip it was gone. We know the rules and even if we think we know who took them we are handling our frustration the civil way. We know better than that. We are only volunteers and we work hard for our Republican Party.

Melissa Hagan said...

We have had reports of stolen McCain signs since I began distributing them in June. I can assure you that there are many more than you will see posted on the Dem's site. I encourage everyone to handle this in a civil manner and come by and get a new sign.

Please do not touch anyone's sign, whether you agree with it or not. I saw a few NoBama signs on the roadside and have no idea who put them there. It is free speech and we have no control over others who produce their own signs. However, we ask all Republicans to please keep it positive and show your support by displaying our signs, phone banking, going door to door and sign waving on our organized days.

This is our path to victory- we are keeping it positive :)