Editor

My photo
Panama City, Florida, United States
Bay County Republican: the truth about what is going on in GOP local politics

Friday, January 16, 2009

Allen Boyd close to decision on 2010 US Senate run


By Billy House, TBO.com

U.S. Rep. Allen Boyd of Monticello says the news today from state Chief Financial Office Alex Sink’s that she will not run for the U.S. Senate won’t impact his own decision.

Boyd said he is close to announcing whether he will seek the Democratic nomination for the Senate seat that Republican Mel Martinez will be leaving in 2010.

“I love serving the people of North Florida in the House of Representatives, but I’m considering a Senate run because of the very serious challenges facing my fellow Floridians,” said Boyd, in a statement.

Boyd added: “I’m not going to drag this out. I’ve very close to a decision and will make my decision public.”

Sink would have been considered a top candidate had she run. Though she will not run, Rep. Kendrick Meek of Miami earlier this week announced that he is a candidate.

Boyd also said Sink would have be “a tremendous candidate,” although “Florida is fortunate that she’ll be staying on as CFO.”

“I’ve always said that the decision to run for the U.S. Senate is a personal one for me and does not hinge on what anyone else decides to do,” Boyd said.

Said Meek of Sink’s decision: “My hope was for the strongest slate of Democrats to appear on the 2010 ballot for statewide office, and with today’s announcement by CFO Sink, Democrats will have an extremely strong ticket up and down the ballot in 2010.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who runs for Allen Boyd seat for GOP if he vacates for Senate??? Thoughts everyone