Editor

My photo
Panama City, Florida, United States
Bay County Republican: the truth about what is going on in GOP local politics

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Mark Cross on his failed run for RPOF Chairman

I would like to thank each and every person who supported me in the race for the Chairmanship of the Republican Party of Florida (RPOF). I was disappointed I could not win the Chairmanship but I feel very excited and encouraged by the results.

First of all this was a very difficult race to win, because there are not a lot of things that volunteers can do to help. This was a person to person race, normally decided by money and endorsements. There are 253 people who were able to vote. Each county has 3 votes, the State Committeeman, Committeewoman, and Chairman. There are 10 gubernatorial appointees, 10 Senate appointees, 10 House appointees, 15 Republican Congressmen, and 7 statewide elected officials. You must garner a majority vote to win. That means you have to contact each member of the State Committee in order to determine support. So a race like this is pretty straight forward. If a candidate works right, he will know the vote before it happens.

After talking to many people, I knew what the vote would be. I knew I would not be Chairman. My entire campaign was based upon three issues. I wanted to see RPOF give more support to local executive committees and candidates. If this happens more of you will be able to run for local office and have party support. I wanted to see RPOF invest in better technology to reach voters and volunteers. You have the technology, so you will be very much needed in the party. Most importantly I wanted to see RPOF open the doors and allow every Republican to participate. I fought for these three principles.

About 10 minutes before the annual meeting, I ran into Chairman Jim Greer. Our visit was not planned. It was purely impromptu. We talked about the issues I championed. He understood these issues and told me what he was doing to make corrections. Jim also said that he would make sure any Ron Paul Republican who wanted to participate would be able to. He complimented me for running such a gentlemanly campaign. He appreciated the fact that I did not attack any candidate, did not attack the Republican Party, and stuck to the issues. Chairman Greer was very gracious. He didn’t have to talk to me. He didn’t need my vote and support or ask for it because he was also a vote counter. He knew that he would be reelected in about an hour. I believe what he said.

It came time for nominations and Governor Crist nominated Jim Greer. The Governor asked that everyone vote for him. Many other party officials seconded the motion. Jim talked for a few minutes about the Republican Party. When it was my turn to speak, I talked about my three issues. I told everyone about the Ron Paul campaign and what a wonderful experience it was working with the grass roots. I talked about technology, money bombs, and the internet. I quoted Ronald Reagan; “The very essence of conservatism is libertarianism.” I talked about the future of our party.

My speech was not prepared. There was no podium so I was speaking extemporaneously. I noticed that the Governor happened to be sitting on the end of the first row, right by my microphone. In closing my speech I took the opportunity to look the Governor in the eye and said, “Governor, I want to withdraw my name from nomination because I am going to support your nominee. Republicans should not be fighting other Republicans. We should be fighting Democrats.” I made a call for party unity.

The Governor stood up and shook my hand. He thanked me for what I had done. I was told later that I had received a standing ovation. Jim Greer won the race 169 to 52, which was about the margin I had expected. During his acceptance speech, Chairman Greer shocked everyone when he said, “I want to make sure all the Ron Paul supporters who want to participate are able to.” There has been a lot of good will generated since.

I know there are some people who are disappointed in the outcome of this election. I am disappointed, too, because I know that I would have made a great chairman. During my campaign I stood up for three issues that have an effect on internal policies of RPOF. Jim addressed each one. I believe what he said and I will give him every opportunity to succeed. He never asked for my support or promised me anything. Even though he won the Chairmanship, I won on the issues and I never compromised my principles.

Unity is important. We need to unify behind real Republican principles. We can accomplish this by preparing for the 2010 election cycle. There will be tens of thousands of races all across the country including City Commissioners, County Commissioners, School Districts, and local boards. Many of these races require very little resources. If we plan now to field our candidates and participate with the Republican Party we can win.

But please remember, unity does not mean arbitrarily supporting any candidate who has an R behind his name. We can elevate the debate by supporting candidates who support real Republican principles. It is our job to hold the party to higher standards. With this approach we will win elections.

The bottom line is “All Politics Is Local”. A local city or county commission race might not seem as glamorous as Congress, but I guarantee you will have a better chance of success. You will also have a better chance at effectuating change within your community simply by running.

I want to issue a challenge to everyone who wants to participate with Republicans. Come to meetings. Join Republican clubs. Get to know people. Participate in a positive manner. Learn the rules. Get to know your elected officials. And most importantly, organize your precinct. Many of you have been quite successful. 2010 will be a banner year.

Once again thank you for all your support and well wishes. It is always tough to run a race, but it was easier knowing I had the support of our family. I want to salute each and every one of you for all the things you do to promote liberty throughout this great nation. In 2010 I want to be reading about you, an ordinary person who is doing extraordinary things. Thank you.

In Liberty,

Mark Cross

No comments: